Mariners’ Soccer Falls To Yuba 1-0 On Penalty

Mariners’ Soccer Falls To Yuba 1-0 On Penalty

College of Marin Soccer's final home game of the season did not go as planned as they fell to Yuba College 1-0 on a penalty converted just before the first half whistle. Marin failed to score for the first time in over a month as starters Jurany Pohl and Elise Perez missed the match due to injuries.

The first half was a defensive struggle for the Mariners as they fought to contain the Yuba attack. Mariners' keeper Vanessa Miller did an excellent job between the sticks to keep the visiting 49ers off the board despite their high volume of shots. By the 33rd minute of competition, the Mariners had registered zero shots on goal, while Miller had saved all eight of Yuba's shots on goal.

Marin had their first real chance in the 37th minute. Deidre Hyde played Steffanie Flores in with a ball over the top. She took it at the top of 18-yard box and dribbled in on goal. The oncoming Yuba keeper rushed Flores' attempt and it went just wide of the post.

Minutes later Marin had another excellent opportunity. Disa Johansson stepped up to intercept a ball in the defensive midfield. She was a one man wrecking crew as she dribbled through the entirety of the Yuba defense into the box. She tried to chip the Yuba keeper and the shot went just over the crossbar for a goal kick. Marin, who did not have much offense for a good portion of the first half, had two excellent opportunities in a span of a few minutes.    

In first half stoppage time, a ball into the box was corralled by a Yuba attacker. She was wrapped up with Alexandria Mencarelli as both attempted to gain possession as the referee blew for a penalty. Yuba's Lissette Morales strode to the penalty mark and converted to Miller's right to give Yuba a 1-0 advantage as the halftime whistle blew.

The second half was wholly a defensive struggled until the 67th minute when the Mariners switched tactics towards their attack. The change produced an excellent chance by Hyde in the 73rd minute when her shot from distance just grazed the crossbar. She had another seven minutes later that was strong but right at the Yuba keeper Agraciela Gomez.

Marin's last chance came in the 85th minute as Hyde found Flores who's half volley was just wide. She had another saved for a corner, but it came to nothing. The final whistle blew and the Mariners found themselves on the wrong side of the 1-0 score line.

Miller was tremendous in goal for the Mariners as she made 15 saves in the match. Yuba peppered the Marin goal but the only blemish was the converted penalty. Offensively Marin struggled to create many real chances. The few they had were primarily excellent individual efforts.

The Mariners last game of the season is Friday, November 9th at Merritt College in Oakland at 3pm.