Mariners’ Soccer On Wrong End of 2-2 Draw With Feather River

Mariners’ Soccer On Wrong End of 2-2 Draw With Feather River

College of Marin Women's Soccer came within seconds of bagging their second straight victory. However, it was not to be, as a stoppage time goal from the Feather River Golden Eagles found the back of the net after a high twisting corner which resulted in a 2-2 final score. Marin led from just after the first whistle, and held their advantage until seconds before the final whistle. The draw pushes the Mariners' overall record to 1-1-1 in non-conference play.

Marin drew first blood quite early as Sophomore Disa Johansson was on target in the second minute. She intercepted a pass at in the middle of the field and blasted a shot from 25 yards that cleared the keeper and nestled into the back of the net. The captain has been excellent this season, playing all over the field and was rewarded with her first goal of the year.

Not to be outdone, Freshman Deirdre Hyde made her presence felt just two minutes later. The forward pounced on a loose ball just outside the box and unleashed a powerful strike that found the mark from 20 yards out. Marin looked to be the dominant side early as they led 2-0 under five minutes into the match.

The match could have got out of hand, but Feather River tightened their defense, and goal floodgates closed for Marin.

Feather River showed their resiliency as they continued to fight and were rewarded in the 26th minute. A pass across the face of goal by Eagle Heidi Teletor was latched onto by JaNessa Taylor who beat Mariners' keeper Odaiclet Piccinini to cut the lead to 2-1. Neither team could must much of an attack the remainder of the first half as the team went to the break with a 2-1 Marin advantage.

The second half was a drab affair when compared to the first, Marin nor Feather River enjoyed any good spells of possession and it appeared the Mariners' were lacking their first half spark.

The score stayed 2-1 through the 80th minute when the visitors looked to increase the tempo. Feather River controlled the ball in the attacking third but the Mariners were able to repel. As the clock hit 90:00 and stoppage time began, Feather River earned a series of corners, the final one proved to be decisive as the high corner found Isabella Robins who beat second half keeper Wendy Fullam to tie the game at 2-2. The final whistle sounded and the match ended with a 2-2 score line.

Elise Perez and Johansson used every ounce of strength and determination to keep the visitors from scoring, they single or double handedly thwarted numerous Feather River attacks throughout the second half.

It was Johansson's first goal of the season and second collegiate goal. For Hyde it was her third score in two games.

Marin's season carries on with a road match against Skyline College on Friday, September 14th at 4pm.