COM Men’s Soccer Draws 3-3 With Siskiyous in Exciting Midday Affair

COM Men’s Soccer Draws 3-3 With Siskiyous in Exciting Midday Affair

Mariners Soccer had their first home game of the year on Monday against College of the Siskiyous. They came oh so close to grabbing their first victory but a late penalty to the visitors forced Marin to settle for a 3-3 draw.

The Mariners came out firing in the first fifteen minutes of play. From the outset they controlled the midfield and had a pair of good attempts on goal that were denied. The visiting keeper stood tall in goal until the 19th minute where a scrum in front of the net opened up for Jesus Ochoa who scored off a pass from Johnathan Blanco. With a 1-0 the Mariners continued to look for more, but were denied until the halftime whistle.

They wasted no time in the second half, continuing their aggressive approach. It paid dividends quickly as Jason De Leon netting in his season debut for a 2-0 Marin lead. Andres Reyes found De Leon and was credited with the assist.  The Mariners looked to be in good shape, however it was in the 60th minute that College of the Siskiyous began their comeback.

The netted quickly to pull within one goal at 2-1 and started a relentless attack from their midfield and forward positions. The Mariners managed to hold off the onslaught and even drew a penalty in the 68th minute. Hector Penunuri stepped up and slotted home to give Marin a 3-1 lead. It was his second goal in as many games.

The two goal deficit did not dissuade Siskiyous from giving it their all as they continued to pressure the Marin goal. The visitors pulled one back to make it 3-2 in the final ten minutes as a series of deft passes and a strong shot put the ball past the Marin keeper and into the net. With under five minutes remaining, Siskiyous lofted a ball into the box that was handled by a Marin defender, which yielded a penalty to the visitors with a chance to tie. The penalty shot was low and to the keepers left. Marin's Collin Sneddon did all he could to keep it out, but it found the holy land regardless. Little time remained on the referee's watch as the final whistle quickly came in the form of a 3-3 draw.

Head Marin Coach Michael Crivello liked his team's early performance but not the finish. ""Very even game from start to finish, we got off to the early lead, but were not able to see it out in the end. Overall it was another step in the right direction that we hopefully build off of as we head into conference play."

Next up for the Mariners is a road game against Gavilan College on Friday, September 15th.